Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28th Birthday.
















Lily Olive Harper decided to come into the world at 11:30 Central Time. Her last day in the womb was a hectic one. Dad was working the night of the 27th and wasn't sure if what Talane was feeling was actually the beginning of labor or just a false alarm. He decided if it was labor he would make it back from work before it became too serious.

Mom decided that NOW was the time to have a baby on the 27 and tried about every old trick in the book to get things headed down that road. She took two 40 minute walks. Cleaned the house, made cupcakes, had one of her friends over to work on some crafts, tried some accupressure points to stimulate contractions, and then stayed up late working on these projects. By the time she was ready for bed, her contractions were close enough together that she couldn't go to sleep. So dad got a phone call at about 3:00 am informing him that the contractions were getting pretty darn intense and that a trip to the birth center might be in order. Dad left the hospital but Mom stayed home to labor for a little while just to make sure this was the real deal. It was. But by the time Mom and Dad finally got everything ready it was past 8am. They arrived at the birth center at about 9. Talane gave birth at 11:30. The midwifes were amazed how fast it all happened. Talane totally dominated labor and the outcome was super.

Lily has been nothing short of the best baby on the block. After her birth she has only cried for about 10 minutes total. She loves sleeping and recently learned that she likes to eat. We are almost waiting for her to do something crazy, loud or annoying because she is so calm and content all of the time.
*this is Derek's extremely short version of what happened.

13 comments:

Erynn said...

Congratulations! I love the quote "Talane totally dominated labor".

David and Heather said...

Yaaaaay! We are sooo excited for your new family! Talane--you amaze me with your strength/courage. Way to go for two hours at the birthing center! We love you guys so much.

Toni said...

Congrats! I love you. She is awesome.

JILL said...

CONTRATULATIONS! She is beautiful!
Love,
Jill, Mark, Gabby & Jake

Ashley Schill said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys! I am so impressed by the way you "dominated" labor! Lily is beautiful and we can't wait to meet her!

Riin said...

Palju palju õnne! I'm so excited for you. Lily on imeilus.

Tosha said...

Talaner and D: Good job, she is beautiful! I knew you could do it. Can't wait to smooch her face off. Love her already. Love you guys. Tosh

Jamie said...

I knew yesterday when I tried calling you that it might be the day! Congratulations! She is a cutie. We will have to talk in a few days when things have calmed down, or maybe gotten worse. Glad you and her made it! Love you Talaney! I can't believe you guys already blogged about it, good job!

aSHleY said...

What she is here? What a fun surprise to already see pictures of your cute babe. Can't wait to see more pictures and to hear from the new mommy. Congratulations! Love you t.

Lindsay said...

wow, the day before my birthday how specail! I am so glad that you had a good expirience with labor your first time. cant wait to see more of her. miss you

Olga said...

Hey guys, I am so happy for you! She is adorable!

Rebecca said...

WOW! She is PERFECT!! I cannot wait to meet her. She is just a little darling. Those beautiful eyes are just going to love looking up at that mobile.

The Larrabees said...

Precious! what else can I say... Congratulations from all of us.. Gretel is excited to meet the cute baby, she's been talking about her since yesterday... oh..cute baby, cute..
Can't wait to see you guys ;)