Saturday, October 3, 2009

for the love of

I've always mostly enjoyed cooking and baking, but lately for some reason I LOVE IT. I have been trying a lot of new stuff and that excites me. Last night for dinner I made

homemade tomato basil soup
roasted asparagus
and broiled french bread with lots of butter.

for dessert:
apple crisp (a new recipe)
vanilla icecream

I love the fall. I've been burning a mulled cidar candle. mmmmm.

when you don't have a dishwasher paper plates are the only way to go...


tomato basil soup

4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
4 cups tomato juice
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup milk
1/4 teas. salt
1/4 teas. cracked black pepper
1/2 (4 ouces) 1/3 -less-fat cream cheese, softened
Basil leaves, thinly slice (optional)

1. Bring tomato and juice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes.
2. Place tomato mixture and 1/3 cup basil in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Add the cream cheese, stirring well with a whick, and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes). Ladle soup into each of 8 bowls; garnish with sliced basil, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup)

2 comments:

David and Heather said...

Wow Talane the dishes you have made look amazing. I have really been in the soup-making mood as of late, and this one looks delicious. What is garlic couscous? I want to try that, too.

The Larrabees said...

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I made it once and it was a success (very rare for me) so I'm coming back to get it again and make it tonight
I'm glad you guys had a good Christmas with family. Lily looks adorable, I miss you guys!